Is your dog taking you for a walk?
In this mini class we will teach you the fundamentals of how to teach your dog to want to walk nicely by your side.
In 5 steps, we will begin to change your dog’s patterned behavior of pulling and create a new habit.
- Teaching your dog to be aware of and correct tension in the leash,
- Teaching them that being right next to your side is the best place to be
- We will build a solid foundation for you and your dog every time the two of you leave the house.
- We will also focus on getting/keeping your dog’s attention in a high distraction environment because if we can’t get them to focus on us, how can we expect to get them to walk with us?
- We will work on building the ‘leave it’ behavior so that you can turn your dog from distractions
Check to see if this class is scheduled (and register) by clicking the purple button to the right.
What you need to prepare for this virtual class:
- High-value treats (ex: 2 snack size ziplock bags of freeze-dried liver; chicken; low-fat hotdogs; or cheese cut into pinky nail-size pieces)
- Recommend a treat pouch for easy access to your treats
- Equipment: regular leash (no retractable); collar or harness or head collar (such as Gentle Leader). Recommended: front-clip harness for better control of pulling (ex: Freedom; Walk In Sync; Balance)
- Clicker for quicker training (if you opt to use one)
For more information on preparing for a virtual class please read: virtual consult handout